Monday, June 22, 2015

No Stepfather's Day

I wrote this in a note on FB two years ago....it's more true today. 

Tomorrow is Fathers' Day, a day to celebrate the men who gave us life. My father, Harry Osborne, is one of the best. He is sweet, funny, and loves me more than life. So, of course, each year when I realize Fathers' Day is approaching, it is my "Deddy" who comes to mind first. But this post isn't about my wonderful father; it is about my wonderful husband. As I am typing this, he is cooking shrimp scampi (it is 9:21 p.m.) because Sydney requested it...even though he has already eaten dinner himself and she is really the only one who is hungry. This is quite typical of Kyle--doing all he can to make each of us girls happy, no matter the time of day or the level of difficulty the task. In the short two years we have been married, he has cooked countless dinners, cheesecakes, loaves of bread, fried eggs (over medium), and grilled cheese sandwiches. He has mowed the lawn, cut down trees, mulched gardens, and planted flowers. He has moved Taylor into...and then out of...her first dorm. He has chauffeured Sophie to gymnastics, Sydney to her friends' houses, and all of us to Orlando, church, the beach, school, the mall, and the grocery store. He has helped with homework, projects, essays, and research papers. He has helped teach Sophie how to ride a bike and Taylor and Sydney how to drive a car. He has built two loft beds, a headboard, and a mirrored jewelry armoire...all for my girls who have come to expect that he can and will cook, build, or do anything they desire. 

And yet...there is no Stepfathers' Day. 

Tomorrow we celebrate the men who gave us birth or the men who have adopted us as their children-- our legal and/or biological fathers. But what about stepfathers? They must be recognized as well. My husband must be recognized as well. Because, although he has not fathered a child biologically, he is one of the best fathers I have ever met. He is patient, kind, hardworking, sincere, sensitive, helpful, sacrificial, and loving. He is everything a father should be. 

Kyle, I love you more and more every day. Thank you so much for taking care of me and the girls. You make each one of us feel protected, loved, and cared for, and I could not ask for a better stepfather for my children. (And I'm sorry for the picture, but I couldn't help myself) :)


No comments:

Post a Comment